I may have to do more secret spinning, because these transformation process posts are my favorite kind.
My Fairy Tale Swap partner (Brenda!) received her package, so now I can share the yarn!
Before I had even been assigned a partner, I knew I would be spinning a custom yarn. Brenda’s favorite fairy tale is The Princess and the Pea, and I was determined to make a yarn that went with it. I initially thought I’d do a semisolid green for a Pea ball, but then it struck me: self striping yarn so that it would stack up like mattresses!
Brenda lists her favorite colors as pinks, violets, blues, lavenders, and greens, so I decided to use ALL of them. I scoured the stash and found my bag of merino Wooly Cupcakes from The Wool Peddler.
I picked out the ones with the right colors and then added more solid colored merino from my carding stash. (I pulled out the brown bits too).
I realized that spinning the hand-painted bits would not make sharp color changes like I needed for mattress stripes, and would have a different look than the solid merino. So I pulled apart the hand-painted pieces and threw them on the carder.
Each color blended into a really nice heathery mini-batt with lovely depth of color. The solid merino also needed to be heathery, so I grabbed dark and light bits of other colors and blended up the solid merino too. I ended up with a total of 7.7 oz of carded bundles.
I split each little batt into pieces that were 3-5 g and lined them up in a sort of random color sequence. It isn’t really random, because I didn’t like the high contrast when bright pink was next to green, and I have a fondness for grouping 2 or 3 different tones of the same color in a run, so there was some pretty deliberate manipulation of the order.
I spun each bit one after the other, trying to make the color transition as fast as possible for the sharp stripes.
I Navajo-plied to keep the stripes and soaked thoroughly.
It came out light worsted weight, 490 yards.
I was so happy that it came out like I planned for! I love the yarn, but since I spent the whole process deliberately planning it for Brenda, I wasn’t even sad to put it in the mail. I was just so excited for Brenda to have it! There are 50 stripes of color in the yarn, thus I dubbed it “50 Mattresses”.
I also dug out my sewing machine and made a little round-bottomed reversible “Rags to Riches” project bag to go in the swap package.
I don’t often sew, and I just made it up without a pattern. I was so ridiculously pleased with it that I may have to make another soon.
For WIP Wednesdays, the Steampunk shawl has been cast off but not yet blocked.
The Malibu & Maison Moderne Falklands fibers have been plied together into one big skein that is destined to become a woven scarf.
There are Moonrover Darkside singles on the wheel.
And the Bluebell and Clover yarn got started as simple socks.
WIP Wednesday Walkabout is now in the sidebar!