Quickly

I dashed home from work to snap a few progress pictures and then ran off to go teach my lace class at a nearby yarn store. So, briefly:

On the wheel this week, SW BFL from Sosae Caetano in “Grape Jelly”.

Grape

Spinning for 3 ply sock yarn again.

The Loop Oasis Toffee shawl looks like this.

toffeeoasis

And I cast on for some simple socks with the Vicarious yarn on size US0 needles.

vicarisocks

My swap package went out last week and so hopefully my (international) recipient will have it by next time so I can share the fun stuff.

And now Farnsworth is yowling at me because I didn’t give him enough attention today. I’m off to see how he likes lasers and fish flakes.

 

Directly Vicariously

A sock!

prismThought I forgot about that one, didn’t you?

Another sock!

charadeThe Flat Feet yarn makes interesting tigery stripes.

A small amount of progress on the Oasis Toffee shawl!

toffeeI got all the way to the darkest orange and am still just thrilled at the gentle color progression. Just 12 more rows until I get to start on the fancy edging.

AND A CAT.

farns worth

I named him Farnsworth. The shelter thought he was about 2 years old. He’s snuggly but skittish.

But mostly today I’m going to blather about how much I love my skein of “Vicariously” sock yarn. Not counting the leftover bits that I Navajo-plied, it measured at about 405 yards (before washing). My sock singles have been a little thick lately, so I aimed for thinner, and it seems to have come out as a rather light fingering-weight yarn, which means I’ll have to knit it on a US 0 or finer to get a gauge I like. I also may have gotten a little enthusiastic with the ply twist, because it was super wiggly.

I think it’s striking to see the difference before and after washing. Here, there’s a lot of high contrast and the colors are pretty wild. Last week’s post also has a picture on the bobbin where you can see the pale grays and pinks.

unsoak

I let the yarn soak for a long time (at least a day), while I occasionally swished or thwacked it to try and get the kinks out. A few of the colors bled in the water, and while this usually distresses me, the result here is that it essentially lightly overdyed the whole skein in dark red and the resulting jewel toned yarn has me utterly obsessed.

skein

I’ve already skeined it up and expect to cast on for socks this evening.

ball

Running Amok

Life got the better of me last Wednesday and I didn’t get a post up, so I just get to share it all this week.

I finished a Mockery sock last month in time for the UFO KAL.

mockery

Now that the KAL is over, I naturally can go back to my totally reckless casting-on of new socks. This is a modified Charade sock with unusual striping because it’s knit from a Conjoined Creations Flat Feet skein (I’m using “skein” pretty loosely here.)

flatfeetcharade

I’ll knit the feet big and they’ll be destined for one of the men in my family next holiday season.

I had a mad dash where I used the recent Moonrover Darkside yarn and cast on a “Zuzu’s Petals“. Then I cast it off the next day. Then, with a complete disregard of my usual method of procrastination, I wove in the ends and immediately blocked it.

moon zuzu

I love that it is soft and squishy and simultaneously elegant and rustic.

Also in the spirit of “new handspun is hard to resist”, I’ve joined a KAL for the “Toffee” shawl, using both ends of the Oasis yarn.

oasis toffee

I am extremely satisfied with how gracefully the gold has transitioned to the orange and the split-bump method for Loop bumps is now definitely my favorite way to spin them.

The wheel has been mostly occupied with mystery spinning for the swap, which looks something like this after I fiddle with filters.

mystery

The 3-ply got me hankering for a sock yarn spin and I found a SW Merino braid from Four Rivers Yarn & Fiber sitting on top of my stash. The colorway is “Vicariously”.

vicarious fiber

Woolamina’s rovings don’t have regular color repeats, but I wanted the colors to be fairly evenly distributed. I have no pictures, but I tore the whole length of the roving into three long pieces and then split each of those vertically in two for 6 total pieces. I reorganized the pieces into three groups of mismatched pairs. Then I vertically stripped each group into a different number of pieces (sort of a fractal method), scrambled the colors and then just kind of threw them at the wheel. Each pile = one bobbin. Three bobbins for a standard 3-ply.

Fine singles happened in rapid succession and I’m already plying. I should finish tonight. I’m really excited to see what this looks like all skeined up, because high contrast 3-plies always come out crazy.

vicariouslybobbin

Happy spinning!